For this Art Interpretive Evaluation Essay, you will view and evaluate the work of visual art presented in the Module 5 Online Exploration. The painting is the “Self-Portrait on the Border Between Mexico and the United States” by Frida Kahlo. She composed this painting during a prolonged stay in the United States while her husband Diego Rivera was working there on another art project.
1. First be sure you have reviewed all materials in this learning module and that you have read Chapter 5 in your textbook.
2. You may wish to open the larger version of Kahlo’s painting to more carefully examine it as you compose your evaluation.
3. You should also refer back to the Module 5 Online Exploration resources and USE AND CITE these research sources in your essay. You may use additional resources too. In any case, be sure to cite your sources.
4. Submit your essay as a Word Document (.doc or .docx) or as a Rich Text Format (.rtf) file.
5. Essay Instructions: Now that you’ve carefully examined the work of visual art and completed your research, compose an essay of at least 400 words (total) where you compose an essay of FIVE fully developed paragraphs (one paragraph for each of the following questions):
Paragraph 1: Describe the painting: What is your general impression of the painting? What parts of the painting represent Mexico? What parts of the painting represent the United States? How do these two depictions differ?
Paragraph 2: Interpret the painting: Kahlo once said, “I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best.” What parts of herself does Kahlo seem to be exploring in this self-portrait? What might she be saying about herself in relation to the two countries in the painting? Cite examples to support your interpretation.
Paragraph 3: Identify the artistic characteristics and styles in the painting: What elements of surrealism do you see in the painting? What elements of indigenous art do you see? How do the two work together? Cite specific examples.
Paragraph 4: Interpret the artist’s motivation: This is the most speculative. Frida Kahlo was first exhibited as Mrs. Diego Rivera. How do you think being married to a famous man affected Kahlo’s life and her work? Is there anything in the painting that has relevance to her position as a famous artist’s wife?
Paragraph 5: This painting is considered a “valuable and important” piece of art. Do you agree? If so, explain which features of the painting makes you agree. If not, explain why you disagree by citing relevant features of the painting.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more