Several years ago, the Penston Company purchased 90% of the outstanding shares of Swansan Corporation.

Several years ago, the Penston Company purchased 90% of the outstanding shares of Swansan Corporation. The acquisition was made because Swansan produced a vital component used in Penston’s manufacturing process. Penston wanted to ensure an adequate supply of this item at a reasonable price. The remaining 10% of Swansan stock was retained by the former owner, James Swansan, who agreed to continue managing this organization. He was given responsibility over the subsidiary’s daily manufacturing operations but not for any of the financial decisions.The take over of Swansan has proven to be successful undertaking for Penston. The subsidiary has managed to supply all of the parent’s inventory needs as well as distributed a variety of items to outside customers.At a recent meeting, the president of Penston and the company’s chief financial officer began discussing Swansan’s debt position. The subsidiary had a debt-to-equity ratio that seemed unreasonably high considering the significant amount of cash flows being generated by both companies. Payment of the interest expense, especially on the subsidiary’s outstanding bonds, was a major cost, one that the corporate officials hoped to reduce. However, the bond indenture specified that Swansan could retire this debt prior to maturity only by paying 107% of face value.This premium was considered prohibitive. Thus, to avoid contractual problems, Penston acquired a large portion of Swansan’s liability on the open market for 101% of face value. The Penston purchase created an effective loss on the debt of $300,000: the excess of the price over the book value of the debt as reported on Swansan’s books.Company accountants currently are computing the noncontrolling interest’s share of consolidated net income to be reported for the current year. They are unsure about the impact of this $300,000 loss. The subsidiary’s debt was retired, but the decision was made by officials of the parent company. Who lost this $300,000?

Show more







Calculate the price of your order

550 words
We'll send you the first draft for approval by September 11, 2018 at 10:52 AM
Total price:
$26
The price is based on these factors:
Academic level
Number of pages
Urgency
Basic features
  • Free title page and bibliography
  • Unlimited revisions
  • Plagiarism-free guarantee
  • Money-back guarantee
  • 24/7 support
On-demand options
  • Writer’s samples
  • Part-by-part delivery
  • Overnight delivery
  • Copies of used sources
  • Expert Proofreading
Paper format
  • 275 words per page
  • 12 pt Arial/Times New Roman
  • Double line spacing
  • Any citation style (APA, MLA, Chicago/Turabian, Harvard)

Our guarantees

Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.

Money-back guarantee

You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.

Read more

Zero-plagiarism guarantee

Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.

Read more

Free-revision policy

Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.

Read more

Privacy policy

Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.

Read more

Fair-cooperation guarantee

By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.

Read more

Order your essay today and save 10% with the coupon code: best10